Top 10 Fantasy Dragons!
24 August 2017
Here Be Dragons!
To celebrate the launch of James Bennett's Raising Fire, taking place at the Phoenix Artists' Club on Wednesday 30th August, James has picked his 10 best Fantasy Fiction dragons. The foul, the fearsome and the fluffy... you'll find them all below!
1. Smaug the Magnificent, The Chief-est and Greatest of Calamities was the first dragon I remember reading about, and you never forget your first. He was certainly the first talking dragon I recall and red was always my favourite colour.
2. The Jabberwocky from Through the Looking Glass. What a weird old creature he is! Much worse than the Bandersnatch!
3. Eustace Stubb from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Probably my first encounter with the dragon-as-human trope.
4. Orm Embar of Earthsea, Le Guin’s great beast who died in battle with Cob, the dark magician in The Farthest Shore.
5. Ruth, the time-travelling white dragon from Anne McCaffery’s Dragonriders of Pern series, a favourite of mine from high school.
6. Falkor the luckdragon from The Neverending Story. He’s so fluffy!
7. Mayland Long from R. A. MacAvoy’s Tea With The Black Dragon, who used to be a Chinese dragon, but isn’t now.
8. Skie, the mount of Kitiara uth Matar from the Dragonlance Chronicles.
9. Drogon from GRMM’s A Song of Ice and Fire series. Sheer brute force. Nasty!
10. Temeraire, the titular, charismatic dragon from Naomi Novik’s series set in the Napoleonic Wars. Lovely books. Dragontastic!
James will be joined by Mark de Jager, Lucy Hounsom and Jen Williams, discussing dragons, demons and everything fantasy. Make sure you don't miss out - grab your tickets from ticketsource now!